Experience a mouthwatering difference to your usual spaghetti bolognese with Helen's sweet ‘n’ tangy recipe!
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 large celery stick
- 1 large carrot
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g good-quality minced beef
- 60g sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 heaped tbsp Small Chunk Branston Pickle
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, approx. 400g
- Black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and finely dice the onion, celery and carrot. Place the chopped vegetables in the pan and sweat over a medium to low heat for 5 minutes.
- Once softened, add a generous pinch of salt and the garlic to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the minced beef to the pan and turn up the heat. Cook until the meat has browned. In the meantime, finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes to form a rough paste.
- When the meat in browned, add the sun-dried tomatoes, tomato purée and mixed herbs to the pan, stirring well to incorporate all the ingredients and cooking for a further minute. Stir through the Branston pickle.
- Tip in the chopped tomatoes along with another can of water. Bring the contents of the pan to a boil then lower the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Allow the bolognese to cook and reduce for 5 -7 minutes until the sauce has reduced to a thick consistency. Season with salt and cracked black pepper as required.
- Serve atop wholemeal spaghetti and sprinkle over a generous handful of Parmesan. Finish with some fresh basil.
The Branston adds a nice tang and sweetness that goes with the tomatoes.